Phillystran aramid fiber ropes jacketed with abrasion resistant, moisture-blocking extruded polymers are made to order for most shipboard applications. Phillystran ropes provide the strength and low-stretch characteristics of steel with the lightweight, noncorrosive, and dielectric properties of fiber ropes. The U.S. Navy has approved Phillystran rope for use in lifelines and boat davit preventer stays.
Some of the advantages of replacing steel cables for these applications are:
• Inter-modulation interference (IMI) is eliminated
• Electromagnetic interference (EMI) is eliminated
• Received and transmitted signal patterns are improved
• Expensive maintenance such as painting, greasing, and de-icing is eliminated
• Useful life is dramatically increased when corrosion due to sea water and stack gases is eliminated
• Safety concerns due to metal “fish hook” injuries and corrosion-weakened steel wire ropes are eliminated.
Applications where electrically transparent, corrosion resistant Phillystran rope is the best choice, are:
• Mast and antenna stays
• Jackstaff and canopy-awning lines
• Boat gripes, preventer stays, and spanwires
• Mooring lines
• Tow lines and winch lines
• Lashing ropes and rigging lines
• Boat davit preventer stays.